The KU School of Music is pleased to host the International Institute for Young Musicians (IIYM) Summer Music Academy for another exciting year of student music study and competition, July 11-24, 2010. IIYM, led by Dr. Scott McBride Smith, is an internationally recognized course of study for young pianists from around the world.
Smith, who has a master's degree in piano from KU and was recently named as a piano pedagogy professor at the University of Kansas, is the President and Chief Executive Officer of IIYM. He created the IIYM organization in 1990 to provide music study opportunities for young musicians from around the world. During the summer program, students are exposed to intensive study to improve their mastery of performance, and these students spend time practicing and performing recitals, working with IIYM artist faculty.
This year's IIYM program features 75 students, ranging from ages 9 to 19, arriving from all over the world to participate in music study and competition.
Local youth participating in this year's IIYM festival include: Lucas Rhodes, 17; Chung Man Kim, 14; John Weiss,11; and Mason Kelso, 14. Chung Man Kim was selected to perform in the semi-finals of the IIYM International Piano Competition and Lucas Rhodes was chosen as an alternate. The IIYM International Piano Competition Semi-Finals and Finals will culminate with a International Piano Competition Winners Concert in Swarthout Recital Hall on Saturday, July 17 at 2pm. Tickets are $12/adults and $10/students and seniors.
Below is a complete list of events open to the public:
· Sunday, July 11, 10am-8pm: 7th IIYM Piano Competition Semi-Finals, Swarthout Recital Hall (Free)
· Monday, July 12, 3pm-9pm, 7th IIYM Piano Competition Finals, Swarthout Recital Hall (Free)
· Saturday, July 17, 2-4pm, IIYM Piano Competition Winners Concert, Swarthout Recital Hall. Tickets: $12/adults and $10/students & seniors and can be purchased by calling 785-864-3436, visiting the KU School of Music (Room 460), or can be purchased at the door.
· July 14, 21 and 28, IIYM Honors Recitals. July 14 and 21 in Swarthout Recital Hall at 6:30 pm. July 28 at 7:00 pm at the Hall Center for the Humanities. (Free)
· July 15-16, 19-20, 22-23, 26-27, 29, IIYM Student Recitals, 6:30 p.m., Swarthout Recital Hall. (Free)
· Saturday, July 24, 3pm, public concert at Topeka Public Library, 1515 SW 10th Avenue, Topeka, KS (Free)
Please note: IIYM piano competition winners will appear on Kansas Public Radio, KANU FM 91.5 on July 13, 20 and 27 at 11:10 a.m.
Click here to view the complete 2010 Calendar of Events.
For additional information on the 2010 IIYM Summer Music Academy, please contact the KU School of Music at 785-864-3436 or visit www.iiym.com.