“… that vast Something, stretching out on its own unbounded scale, unconfined … combining the real and ideal, and beautiful as dreams. I wonder indeed if the people of this continental inland West know how much of first-class art they have in these prairies …”
- Walt Whitman, on the view from KU’s Mount Oread
Our vision is to be the destination music school in the Heartland, sending graduates out into the world as leaders, creating a vital soundtrack of meaning and beauty for the ever-changing lives of the people in our state, our nation, and our world.
- To teach performance, education, therapy, composition, theory, and musicology passionately and creatively, helping our students prepare for the future as outstanding practitioners of their disciplines.
- To perform, compose, and speak about music with artistry and intelligence as we foster its greater appreciation and understanding on our campus and throughout the region.
- To engage our community, state, nation, and world in every manner possible as a leading comprehensive music school.
We hold that
- Music serves as a powerful constant, enriching and enlightening all societies.
- Excellence in musical study helps prepare students for creative, collaborative work in many disciplines.
- Close interaction with dedicated, inspiring teachers sets students on the path to success.
- All programs at the state’s flagship university must strive for excellence and diversity, serving as a beacon for knowledge and multicultural awareness in an age of technological change and global interconnectedness.